As I’m sure most of you have noticed, I have only been doing one blog a month for awhile now. This is mainly due to being completely absorbed in my writing. The good news is that I finally finished my novel Battle Angels! At just over 98K words, my third novel was an amazing experience to write as I just love the story and the characters so much.
A little bit on Battle Angels before I get into the purpose of this quick post. Battle Angels: Battlefield (tentative title) is a fish out of water story about a man who suddenly finds himself in a world of people who have genetically created super powers. These people are forced to fight one another for survival while he tries to survive with no powers of his own. It’s a story of love, loss, power hungry men and fantastic superpowered battles. It is a urban sci-fi story that I’m pretty proud of and I hope that the editing process goes quickly so I can get it out for people to read.
Now, onto the main part of this post.
I decided to use some different processes this time in writing my novel; focusing on organic organization instead of the Snowflake method. There are writers out there that prefer a more organic form of writing instead of structure. The idea is that writing organically allows the characters in the story to evolve naturally and come into their “voice” much more quickly without being shoe horned into a preset script. It is a rather new age way of thinking (at least it seems that way to me). The character’s deserve their chance to be heard!
I’ve touched on the Snowflake method that I normally use before, so I won’t go into detail about here. Now that I’ve finished two novels with Snowflake and one with Organic, I have to say that there are certainly Pros and Cons for both. At the end of the day, however, I prefer the Snowflake Method. I prefer the structure and the planning that goes into the Snowflake method. For me, I need to plan everything out so that when I write, I can just focus on putting words to page instead of trying to figure out the plot as I go. I also find that I go on less plot tangents that way.